Phew, long time no see! This update is long overdue, as it has been over two weeks since the last time I updated this blog! In that time, I’ve finally finished another one of the requests/suggestions. Check out my posts here and here to see the previous four.
5. “Something related to surfing and ukuleles”
This was a tough challenge, as I really wanted to make a very scenic watercolor painting of a beach and someone carrying a surf board and/or playing the ukulele. But I was stumped and unsatisfied by my attempts at sketching a motif like that, so I went for the digital route. First, I drew a simple, cute character with a ukulele, and a circular background hinting at waves in the ocean. Afterward, I scanned the sketch, finished the lineart and colored it digitally with my Wacom tablet and Photoshop. As a finishing touch, I colored the lineart of the hair, flower and bikini top. The result is far from what I had first pictured, but I figured that I had to get on with it If I want to finish the job I have set out to do. On the bright side, this circular design could very well be used on a button or a round sticker of some sort.
I really do want to finish the requests as soon as possible so that I can focus on new challenges. The week before last, I had to work on a commission for a 5-panel comic strip during most the weekend, so that’s partially why I had to delay work on other things. Sadly, I can’t show the comic strip yet, but I promise that I’ll upload it as soon as it’s been printed.
And by the way, here’s the updated list. Green text means that the challenge is finished. In other words, there’s just one more to go!
- “Killer coffee!” Literally just these two words… Submitted by Josh.
- American lady tourist pointing at some goats in the open air area of the Norwegian museum “Maihaugen” at Lillehammer, saying: “Look at the kind of sheep they got here!” Submitted by Persijn.
- Illustrate an abstract idea, more specifically a question like the kind you would find in language learning books. Examples are “Where do you live?”, “What’s your favorite color?” and “How old are you?”. Submitted by Brian.
- “A juice carton going rampage around a city, (a big ass juice carton) and you can see some heads and hands in the air screaming while the killer juice goes “Blubb blubb rawwwr”. Submitted by Mariann.
- “Moose in the sunset”. Submitted by Siri & Kurt.
- “Something related to surfing and ukuleles”. Submitted by Ole Bertil.